Original MSI - Adult Male Form
- The Original MSI was designed to measure the sexual characteristics of adult male Sex Offenders and can be used both to do a sex deviance evaluation and also to measure treatment progress. It was first published in 1984.
- Description and Scales
- The Original MSI contains 20 scales and a brief Social History. The core scales are the validity scales and the basic paraphilia scales of Child Molest, Rape and Exhibitionism with additional scales assessing other paraphilias (fetishes, voyeurism, bondage / discipline, and sado-masochism, sexual dysfunction, sex knowledge and treatment attitudes.
- Data for the Original MSI was gathered from 322 subjects which included 140 child molesters (92 community based and 48 from a state hospital), 30 rapists and 20 exposers. Fifty four end-of-treatment child molesters and twenty two end-of-treatment rapists were included. A control sample of 56 "normal" (normal MMPI profile) subjects completed the study. The norms for the MSI scales were obtained from this sample. An overall test retest (21 day average re-test) correlation was found to be .89. Internal consistency is high and various researchers have confirmed high alpha coefficients for most of the scales. Discriminant and convergent related evidence finds no significant relationships for age on all scales except for the Sex Dysfunction scales and there is only slight a relationship between the Sex Knowledge and Beliefs scale and IQ. As expected, a significant correlation was found between the MMPI Lie scale and the MSI Lie and Social Sexual Desirability (validity) scales.
- Form of Test
- The Original MSI is a paper and pencil test with 300 true/false questions and takes approximately 45 minutes for the client to take. It requires approximately a 7th grade reading level, however, a cassette tape of the questions is available for use those clients who have reading difficulties. The Original MSI Scoring Templates are color coded for easy use and are designed for efficient scoring. Original MSI forms can be scored in approximately 7 minutes. The scoring information is placed on a profile form designed for ease in interpretation by clinicians.
- The 50 page Multiphasic Sex Inventory Manual contains information on the interpretation of the 20 scales as well as response pattern interpretations.
- Chinese Translation
- The Original MSI is available in Chinese.
- German Translation
The Original MSI is available in German from:
Hogrefe-Verlag GmbH & Co. KG
Rohnsweg 25 Germany
- Spanish Translation
- The Original MSI is not available in Spanish. The MSI II - Adult Male Form is available in Spanish.
- French Translation
- The Original MSI is not available in French.
- The Original MSI is only available for qualified clinicians to score and interpret on their own, a test scoring and interpretation service is not available. The completed answer sheet must be scored by hand using templates are the scores are recorded on a simple two page profile form that can be used in a clinical interview, report writing, treatment planning, assessing treatment progress etc. For information on obtaining a Original MSI Test Kit, please refer to our ordering information.