Multiphasic Sex Inventory II - Adult Male Form
- The MSI II Adult Male Form is designed to measure the sexual characteristics of an adult male alleged to have committed a sex offense or sexual misconduct and can be used both to do a sex deviance evaluation and also to measure treatment progress. It can be useful in evaluation a client who has been alleged to have engaged in sexual misconduct but who denies any such behavior.
- Description and Scales
- The MSI II Adult Male Form is an expanded version of the Original MSI and has been in research since 1986. It underwent extensive field testing for several years and is now complete. The core scales of the Original MSI remain basically intact but have been "cleaned up" by some revision of the wording of the questions for the sake of clarity and eliminating items which have been found not to be discriminating. The client's test taking behavior and response set patterns are assessed by twelve separate measures of test reliability and validity. The Molester Comparison and Rapist Comparison Scales compare the client's scores to the scores of known child molesters and rapists. Psychosexual Scales assess Social Sexual Inadequacies, Emotional Neediness and Cognitive Distortions and Behavioral Scales assess Conduct Disorder, Sociopathy, Aggressive Patterns of behavior, Family Violence, and Substance Abuse. Added to the core paraphilia scales of Child Molest, Rape, Exhibitionism and Voyeurism, there are additional paraphilia indices of Sexual Harassment, Net Sex, Obscene Call, Pornography, Transvestism, Fetishism, Bondage/Discipline, Sexual Sadism and Masochism. Further assessment is made regarding Physiologic Dysfunction, Desire Disorder, Premature Ejaculation and Body Image. In addition to the Justifications Scale that was in the Original MSI, there are the added Accountability Scales of Denial, Scheming and Superoptimism. Gender Identity and Gender Orientation are also included in the MSI II battery. There is treatment information provided by the Treatment History and Treatment Attitudes. The Social Sexual History includes information regarding Sexual Development History (which includes past victimization), Marital History, Personal-Family History, Education History and Work History. Finally, a Critical Items List of the most pathological (stop) items are identified.
The MSI II data has been gathered from a wide geographic area which includes Texas, California, Alaska,
Georgia, Illinois, Nebraska, Arizona, Utah, Washington and Quebec and includes non sex offender normal males
(normals are those who score "within normal ranges" on all 13 MMPI clinical and validity scales). The
MSI II is now nationally standardized using approximately 2000 subjects (drawn from a pool of 9000) who
have been census matched to the 1990 census on variables of age, ethnicity, education, occupation and marital
status and coming from all five geographic regions.
Psychometric evaluation of the MSI II includes test-retest/alpha coefficient estimates and evidence of validity employing convergent/discriminant, confirmatory factor analysis and criterion related (numerous cross validation) studies.
Coefficient Alpha Principle Axis Factor Analysis
- Form of Test
- The MSI II Adult Male Form is a paper and pencil test with 560 true/false questions and takes approximately 90 minutes for the client to take. It requires approximately a 7th grade reading level, however, a cassette tape of the questions is available for use by those clients who have reading difficulties. All forms of the MSI II must be sent to Nichols & Molinder Assessments, Inc. for scoring and interpretation. The scoring information is placed on a concise (four page) profile form designed for ease in use by clinicians.
- Clinician's Handbook
- The 141 page Multiphasic Sex Inventory II Clinician's Handbook sets forth the results of an eight-year project that has led to the MSI II. Chapter 1 presents the theoretical framework for the MSI II. Chapter 2 describes the measurement theory and scale construction strategies. Chapter 3 presents the findings of the examination of validity, reliability and standardization studies of the various scales and indices. Chapter 4 deals with the mechanical aspects of test administration and scoring, including a review of test ethics and procedures relevant to the MSI II. Chapter 5 describes each of the scales/indices and social history presents detailed scale validation and interpretation information. Chapter 6 shows how the MSI II may be used in a forensic (psychosexual) evaluation. And, Chapter 7 provides a thorough account of how the MSI II may be most useful for an evaluation of treatment progress.
- Spanish Translation
- The MSI II Adult Male Form was translated into Spanish by Arturo Hurtado (Latino Family Services, Chicago IL). The translation was field tested by several clinicians and critiqued by two other clinicians - Diane Garza Louis (Rio Grande Counseling Center, Austin TX) and Max Pastrana (Professional Association for Counseling and Evaluation, San Antonio TX). Lastly, we subjected the final version to a back translation by Christina Aerenlund who works in a psychological services agency (Dr. Margaret Cortese, Oxnard CA). The conclusion is that this translation is very accurate and can be used with several Spanish dialects.
- French Translation
- The MSI II is not yet available in French.
- German Translation
- The MSI II is not yet available in German. The Original MSI - Adult Male Form is available in German.
- While the MSI II may not be available for clinicians to score and interpret on their own for some time,a test scoring and interpretation service is presently available for those qualified clinicians who wish to begin taking advantage of the enhancements included in the MSI II. A clinician tests the client in their setting and sends the completed answer sheets to Nichols & Molinder Assessments, Inc. The results are then sent back as a 2 to 3 page report of the findings and a comprehensive four page profile form that can be used in a clinical interview, report writing, treatment planning, assessing treatment progress etc. For information on setting up a subscription, please refer to our ordering information.